How to make a DIY Christmas jumper
Each year, millions of us search for the perfect Christmas jumper to celebrate the novelty Christmas Jumper Day with friends, colleagues and family. However, with two out of five Christmas jumpers only being worn once over the festive period, it's a prime example of fast fashion as it takes a lot of resources to create clothes that are rarely worn.
This year, save money and temporarily transform a jumper you already have, so you can join in the joy without costing your bank account or the planet.
These tips are part of something bigger. At Hubbub, we want to see a world where everyone makes choices that are good for the environment. Check out what we do and how your actions add up.
Make your own sustainable Christmas jumper
Grab a jumper you already own and get crafty by adding some temporary decorations. This is a chance to be creative and can be a fun activity to do with kids too. By adding temporary decorations, you can still use your jumper the rest of the year and stop it becoming one-wear fast fashion. Need some ideas? We got you:
- Wrap and pin tinsel to your jumper for the quickest most dazzling transformation!
- Wrap battery fairy lights round a jumper for an interactive outfit that you can switch on and off to impress.
- Pin some Christmas decorations like baubles, holly or jingle bells in a pattern on the front of your jumper.
- "Gift" yourself a sustainable jumper by sticking bows and ribbons on to make a giant present!
- Get snipping and make paper snowflake shapes to stick on your jumper.
- Make a novelty jumper with old christmas cards pinned on it.
- Pin your Christmas stocking to your jumper for the day! Bonus points if you have candy canes in there that you hand out!
- If you are up for a more permanent transformation of an old jumper, you could sew or paint a design on! Felt is great for cutting shapes out of stars, Christmas trees or snowmen, and you can sew on decorations to be more secure.
Want to freeze your food bills this Christmas?
From pre-Christmas planning to post-Christmas sharing, it's snow joke how much money you can save on your food bills.
Want to know more about Hubbub?
Check out our tips for change for easy inspiration on how you can live in a more sustainable way.